We believe that each child brings to school a unique array of experiences, interests, abilities, social skills, motivations and
expectations. We believe that all children can learn at a high level. We believe all students can and should graduate from high school and go on to some form of higher learning. Learning happens everywhere at Val, and everyone in the school community shares in the learning process. Working with our parents, we provide all children with a nurturing, safe, creative and academically challenging educational environment.
The community of the Miller Creek School District provides a high level of support to our schools. A parcel tax was passed in April 2011 and a bond to improve facilties was passed in 2014. Additionally, our parents provide funds that enable our students to have outstanding PE and Arts programs. Our children receive instruction in PE, drama, art, garden, music and technology by specialists thanks to funds raised by parents through the Can Do! Foundation. Our vision at Vallecito School is to educate students in academic concepts and skills and to promote social and emotional growth.
To accomplish this vision we:
• Offer a strong, rich, evolving curriculum at each grade level, which creates a spiral of developing academic skills and
• Provide students with optimal experiences that enable them to develop to their fullest individual potential as self-directed, lifelong, creative problem solvers.
• Utilize multiple assessments to guide instruction and confirm student learning.
• Integrate technology into the curriculum and promote creative, interactive learning that includes exploration and student-led
• Create an environment of social learning, emphasizing character education and conflict resolution.
• Promote active and collaborative community responsibility involving all members of the school family: children, staff, parents
and community members.
• Instill a sense of school pride throughout our community.
We also believe:
• Each individual has intrinsic worth.
• Everyone has the ability and the need to learn.
• All children should be taught to their fullest potential.
• All people should show respect and kindness toward each other.
• Individuals are responsible for their own behavior and their own learning.
• Diversity strengthens society and should be honored and protected.
• All children have a right to safety.
• Our community prospers when people work together.